Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Robert Johnson

I was looking through lists of the greatest guitarists ever and Robert Johnson kept appearing in the top 10. So I said to myself "Who is Robert Johnson?" It turns out he was extremely important in the history of music.

Robert Johnson lived from May 8, 1911 to August 16, 1938. He born and died in Mississippi. His life is poorly documented and only 29 of his songs were recorded. He was a delta blues musician and is called the "Grandfather of Rock-and-Roll". According to Wikipedia he has influenced greats like John Fogerty, Bob Dylan, Johnny Winter, Jimi Hendrix, The Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers Band, The Rolling Stones, Paul Butterfield, The Black Keys, The Band, Neil Young, Warren Zevon, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and Eric Clapton. I find it incredibly weird that I can not find anything on the connection between B.B. King and Johnson. They were both born in Mississippi and King was 13 years old when Johnson died. Johnson traveled around the state so how would B.B. King not know of him? They both play the same style so it is VERY odd.

Johnson started his career by traveling along the Delta. Buses, trains and hitchhiking were his modes of transportation. Folklore says he sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for the ability to play the guitar like no one else could. Johnson went around towns and played on streets and in shops. He played everywhere. He wrote songs and played what people requested.

He died at the infamous age of 27. The cause of his death is unknown. One theory is that Johnson was flirting with a women at a dance so her husband poisoned his drink. He is a member of the infamous 27 Club. That club also includes musicians like Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison.

"The Complete Recordings" was released in 1990 and it contains all of the songs he recorded. They were recorded in November of 1936 and June of 1937. It is two disks and contains 41 songs. 12 of them are alternate takes of songs so there are only 29 different songs. He was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 1980, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and won the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006.

Johnson has inspired a lot of songs. Eric Clapton released a tribute album in 2004 named Me and Mr. Johnson in where all 14 of the tracks were written and recorded by Johnson. Many of his songs have been covered. The Rolling Stone's songs "Love in Vain" and "Stop Breaking Down" were written by Johnson.

I suggest you listen to his stuff. I think it is great and he sings just as well as he plays guitar.

Here are the lyrics to "Love in Vain Blues":

And I followed her to the station

with a suitcase in my hand

And I followed her to the station

with a suitcase in my hand

Well, it's hard to tell, it's hard to tell

when all your love's in vain

All my love's in vain

When the train rolled up to the station

I looked her in the eye

When the train rolled up to the station

and I looked her in the eye

Well, I was lonesome, I felt so lonesome

and I could not help but cry

All my love's in vain

When the train, it left the station

with two lights on behind

When the train, it left the station

with two lights on behind

Well, the blue light was my blues

and the red light was my mind

All my love's in vain

Ou hou ou ou ou

hoo, Willie Mae

Oh oh oh oh oh hey

hoo, Willie Mae

Ou ou ou ou ou ou hee vee oh woe All my love's in vain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting overview of Robert Johnson's life and music.