Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Federer loses second match in a row

Here is something that just does not happen. Roger Federer, by far the best tennis player in the world has now lost two matches in a row. He lost to Scotsmen Andy Murray yesterday at the Dubai Tennis Championships in the first round. The final score was 6-7 (6-8) 6-3 6-4.

Federer’s last loss was at the Aussie Open in the semis to future champion Novak Đoković. That was obviously a shocker since Federer has won the U.S. Open and Wimbledon from 04-07. He struggles a bit in Australia, only winning in 04, 06 and 07.

Then of course is the French Open which he reached the 06 and 07 final in but lost to Nadal who owns on clay. Way too many of the greats have never won the French. People like Johnny Mac, Jimmy Connors and Pete Sampras surprisingly never won at Roland Garros. Combined those three players won 29 frickin grand slams!

But back to Murray. The 20-year old is 2-1 against Federer which in this day and age is phenomenal. Federer has won the Dubai Tennis Championships four times. He has also not lost a first round match since the summer of 2004. Long time eh.

I am disappointed in Federer’s post match comments. He told the BBC:

“I don't think he's changed his game a whole lot since I played him in the Bangkok final. Not that I'm disappointed but I really would have thought he would have changed it in some ways.”

Federer won that match in 2 sets by the way. But still, what the fudge? He beat you and you criticize him? Douchebag. Murray also beat Roger in the second round of the Cincinnati Masters in 2006.

I figured I wouldn’t talk about the match here since other sites have done and I did not see it. Anyway, Murray goes on to face España’s Fernando Verdasco in the round of 16. Murray beat Verdasco in the final of the 2007 St. Petersburg Open in mother Russia.

Totally irrelivant but I wrote this in Word and then copied it into here and the format went all retarded on me. I had to delete a bunch of extra lines. Lame.

No comments: